Sunday, February 28, 2010

Inspiration from Olympians and Steven King


Stephen King book On Writing outside on chair with helleborus

I counted on a rainy winter week to hunker down and work on writing, but the woods in our backyard are full of bird song, the hellebores, daffodils, crocus, tulips and forsythia Plum and pear trees have also blossomed. It feels like May. I couldn't stay inside.


While working outside I started thinking about my lack of writing discipline compared to the discipline of the athletes of the 2010 Olympic games, in our backyard to the north. Bodie Miller on the downhill, back after terrible injuries to win the bronze, Canadian skater Joannie Rochette, whose mother died suddenly, yet went on to skate beautifully and many more with determination to proceed no matter what the emotion or pain. It seems to be the message of these last weeks.


On the previous week of bad cold, slight fever, aches and brain mush, which caused me to lay on the couch, I picked up a book from the coffee table that a friend lent to me, On Writing, by Stephen King. His perseverance to write, overcoming tremendous obstacles from a near fatal accident inspired me but once again pointed out my lack of persistence. I want to strive for the following:

1. Write every day no matter what (even sunny days)

2. Set up a space and time of day and stick with it no matter what.

3. Show up at the page and just write.

4. “The scariest moment is always just before you start. After that, things only get better.” P.269

I want to be tough for you Lord. Strengthen me to do your will. I do not want to cave in to the least pressure. Help me to get beyond my fear.


“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith…” Hebrews 12:1-2a

Is fear keeping you from doing what God is calling you to do? What is the next step to overcoming it? Do you have anyone to hold you accountable and to encourage you?

No comments: