Sunday, March 7, 2010

Taking control of our borders

Bare for a season with ninebark cut back


The long border is out of control. The bindweed has broken the barriers, taken over, and settled itself in. We were too busy to watch and deal with it. Now it’s hiding around every plant to emerge with strength and force when the conditions are right. We know its plans with its binding tendrils to take away unique identity and force all other plants to bow to its methods.


We have dropped other jobs and consorted to take a concentrated effort to remove all but the garden’s bare bones.

1. We cut back more than half the red and yellow twigged dogwood and physocarpus (ninebark) so we can see bare ground.

2. We cleared the way, putting in pots artichoke, lilies, alliums and other plants to freely watch and wait for the emerging green bindweed shoots.

3. We keep watch, painting or spraying bindweed shoots at their appearance with roundup. Be gone bindweed.


We, as people of this nation, have let our borders go. We’ve lost the original vision of man’s loving dominance over the earth. The plants have taken control over man. Trees can’t be cut, pesticides can’t be used - man’s hands tied behind his back. I have loosened the ties, the reigns to fully charge ahead to take back the borders… in more ways than one.

How about your life?

What in your life do you need to get control over? What are you willing to sacrifice (time, money, energy) to do so?

“Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed (or bindweed ignored) can ruin a whole garden in no time.” The Message Hebrews 12:15

“Jesus, show me what to cut back and clear away in my life in order to change. Show me and set me free from the past that binds, old hurts that take away identify and keep me stuck and ruin my life. I ask forgiveness for holding onto any resentment or unforgiveness. I bring this to your cross for healing and freedom."

“God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.” Psalm 41:10 The Message

No comments: