Sunday, November 1, 2009

Writng

It seems that whenever I start a larger writing project, a tidal wave comes and sweeps me into the ocean with no pen, paper, nor thoughts other than to get back to shore with solid ground on which to stand.


I put an essay on aging regarding sinking sand here for three days until someone mentioned that if I published it here, I couldn't anywhere else. I'm not sure I will publish anything anywhere else anyway and I am still out to sea trying to get to solid ground.

In the meantime, here is some wisdom from others on writing from Michael Hyatt

"Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work." Steven King (I don't think time learning about social media marketing counts.)

"When I write I am inspired and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning." Peter Devries (I pray we writers can keep the set regular time.)

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller (How many trials and sufferings does it take?)

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." Helen Keller.

The song "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand," comes into my head. Lord, I don't want to be swept out to sea with nothing written or without a return to my commitment to honor you in what I believe you have called me to do. James 1:6 "But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because you who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." NIV (Italics, my rendering)

Where is your slippery slope and where is your hope?

No comments: