Monday, November 9, 2009

On quitting where there's no joy

Away from the garden. In a Victoria BC hotel room.
written November 9, 2009

God speaks to me through this morning’s devotionals. “The cost of Quitting, November 9” Tozer on Christian Leadership:A 366-Day Devotional, “The Spirit-filled life is not, as many suppose, a life of peace and quiet pleasure. It is likely to be something quite the opposite….sometimes there is a pitched battle with our own nature where the lines are so confused that it is all but impossible to locate the enemy to tell which impulse is of the spirit and which of the flesh….” (just where I am)
“Satan will not bother a man who has quit fighting. But the cost of quitting will be a life of peaceful stagnation. We sons of eternity just cannot afford such a thing.” That Incredible Christian p. 73

And from the Gideon Bible in the hotel room.
“…Pray for you and to ask that you might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously…” Colossians 1:9b-12


To be honest, I have been wrestling with quitting the blog lately. My husband complains that I have no joy when working on it and suggests I spend more time with music where I seem to have joy. Since most people are too busy to read my blogs, it may be time to quit. Not being able to know “which is of the spirit and which of the flesh,” and therefore not have “knowledge of His will,”  This morning I have decided to test the Spirit and not quit just yet. I will try to improve the content for God’s glory and continue to learn a little more about social media and marketing. I guess I really don't ever want to live a life of "peaceful stagnation".

When have you felt like quitting and what changed it?


1Compiled by Ron Eggert, (Camp Hill,PA, Windspring Publishers, 2001)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear Angel that the blog is not bringing you joy. I have not commented often but I truly enjoy reading your blog each week. I will be sad if I don't get a chance to read it. Blessings and love, Kim Anderson Uganda

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are not enjoying keeping up with your blog. I had read this particular blog earlier, and then decided not to comment, hoping that an answer will come to you. Until today, I would had just waited for your decision quitely, but I experienced something new this morning and wanted to share it with you. I taught my first Zumba class. I was really anxious and nervous, and wished I hadn't promised my coworker that I would sub her class. Once I was in front of 40 students, doing something that I love doing, dance, I knew that this was going to be a new path for me. Maybe I'm still on a adrenalin high (it has only been a few hours since the class ended), and perhaps my excitement from the newness of this experience. But if it's one thing I learned today, I must do what I love, and what I feel in my heart. My advice to you is to do what you love. If there is no joy in writing your blog, we (readers) will not enjoy your blog. Maybe it's not that you need a "brand" or new background color, maybe you need to revisit the reason why you love writing and why you started your blog in the first place. I hope that you find encouragement, rather than a message for you to quit, that's not what I am trying to say. I enjoy reading and keeping connected to you weekly via blog. I hope you will find peace with your decision! I love you Angel! -Tomoko