Sunday, May 17, 2009

You've got a friend

Note and flowers found in my purse

To have friends, you need to take time for them to listen and care and go and see them. We took a break from the moving and catching up to visit with old friends in Seattle one of which travelled across the country to see and gather us together. I need to do this more often and plan ahead. As Neil and Chris and Dylan went to the ball game, another friend offered to drive me back to the ferry and drop me off. As I was waiting for several hours for the ferry and on the hour's ride I thought about friendship and the importance of it and was disappointed in myself for not keeping up with more friends. On the ferry just before our stop, three girls came up to me whom I know on the island, I didn't realize they were on the boat. They mentioned that they were putting flowers and notes by people without them knowing it, "random acts of kindness" they said. Some people were sleeping and they put it on the shelf beside them by the window. They were excited and I went with them as they showed me a few places where they put the notes. It was fun to see them enjoy making someone's day better. It was not until I got in a neighbor's car who drove me close to my house, that I saw a scotch broom flower sticking out of my purse. I looked at it inquisitively, thinking "Now where did I get that?" I am always finding surprises, unaware of what I am doing sometimes when I am engrosed in another activity, so I didn't think much of it until home and emptying out my purse I found the note. "You got a friend! Take these flowers home, Random Acts of Kindness." I have been smiling ever since.

Thank you Lord, for using the island children to cheer me up, make my day, and remind me of your amazing friendship and constant kindness.
""He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'" Matthew 18:2-4 NIV (since we are also thinking about children these days, ready to head to CA for the birth of a new granddaughter.)

No comments: