Sunday, February 22, 2009

Respit

Island neighbors posed for an portrait class






Saturday morning drawing class

I decided to take a portrait class this month from Matt Miller, an artist in our community. I was sort of intimidated by the artists in attendance, but Matt's encouragement and instruction relaxed my self criticisms . I really enjoyed the change of mind.


There is something refreshing about studying someone's face, someone who is paid to stay still for that purpose. How often can you stare at someone else's face other than your mates or children's for hours without embarrasment? I was glad to have a plan and method set before me to follow the basics, a hand width on my paper to cover the skin on the face, the space betweent he first and second knuckle on the index finger the eye width on the paper and comparative measurements from there with the held out pencil measuring eye width comparisons. WIth the lack of order in my life, it was just what I needed.

No comments: